Pages

Boxing: Murray ready to face Rios


Manchester fighter John Murray is aim to follow in the track of Ricky Hatton and overcome America on Saturday night when he faces Brandon Rios. The 26-year-old, who has already held British and European titles, now takes a huge step up to world level when he faces WBA lightweight champion Rios at Madison Square Garden in New York. "This is by far the biggest bout of my career to date," said Murray. "To be fighting in the 'Mecca' of boxing, Madison Square Garden, for the world title is the whole reason I got into this sport in the first place.

"If you don't want to have nights like this then there is no point being in this game. I've fought over in America in the past and have won each time, so I aim to carry on that run on December 3rd against Rios. "Hatton had many great nights in America and I hope that I'm the next Manchester fighter who can win there." Murray's last bout was a fast encounter against British rival Kevin Mitchell, which the latter won, but he feels that he has come back stronger from defeat and it will help him beat Rios.

He said: "This is a great stage for me to bounce back after my defeat to Mitchell. Since that loss we've been back in the gym and have gone back to basics. "I've been working on moving my feet and legs a lot more, I think the loss was the kick-up-the-bum I needed to reignite my motivation for the sport. Training and infighting have been going extremely well and I'm looking forward to just getting back in the ring and putting on a good show." Murray knows that if he is to bring the world title back to Manchester with him, he will need to be at his best in opposition to the unbeaten American.

More Sports News

0 comments:

Post a Comment