Pages

Shaun Tait retires from one-day cricket

Australia fast bowler Shaun Tait has retired from one-day cricket to focus on the Twenty20 form of the game. The 28-year-old, part of the Australia side knocked out of the World Cup by India last week, is quit domestic and international 50-over cricket. He will focus on Twenty20 matches for Australia, South Australian Red backs, Surrey and the Rajasthan Royals. He said: "This is not a decision I have taken lightly but I believe it is one that will help me prolong my career."

Tait, a fast strike bowler, helped Australia win their third straight World Cup in 2007 and took 11 wickets in seven matches at this year's competition."In reality, playing all year round for Australia and South Australia is not allowing my body to stand up as I would like and I do not want to be compulsory into retirement through career-ending injuries," he added."Twenty20 cricket allows me to handle my body to a level where I feel I can continue to contribute to the game for some time yet.


"My goal was to confidently help Australia retain the ICC Cricket World Cup. However, with our involvement now completed I feel it is the great time to move on in a new direction."Tait made his Test debut in the 2005 Ashes series but found the rigours of the five-day game too much as a slingy, shoulder-heavy, action put great strain on his body. In January 2008, he took an unclear break from the game, citing physical and touching exhaustion, before returning later the same year to focus his efforts on Twenty20s and one-dayers.

In 35 one-day internationals, he has taken 62 wickets at an average of 23.5, while in 19 Twenty20 games for his country, he has 28 victims at 17.7.Cricket Australia general manager Michael Brown said: "Shaun has been an main contributor to Australia's short form cricket over the last few years."Bowling at the speeds he generates places an unusual strain on his body and Cricket Australia compliments the decision he makes today."

0 comments:

Post a Comment