Pages

John calls time on boxing career

John Duddy has announced that he is retiring from boxing after turning down a reported purse 'in excess of $100,000' to fight national Andy Lee in March. The battle of the Irish middleweights was planned to take place in Connecticut on the undercard of the Sergio Martinez versus Serhiy Dzinziruk bout on 12 March. The Derry Destroyer released a statement on Tuesday confirming that he had retired after 'a great deal of soul-searching' and stated that his decision is final stating, 'I give you my word; I will not come back'.

Duddy's decision, once again, leaves Andy Lee lacking a fight after the Limerick boxer's last planned bout was cancelled when the Wladimir Klitschko world title fight with Dereck Chisora was postponed. The statement released by Duddy read: 'After 'a great deal of soul-searching, I have decided to retire from boxing. 'In many ways, continuing to fight would be the easy course of action. I have been offered the opportunity to fight Andy Lee on HBO for a purse in excess of $100,000. A win would put me in position to fight for a world championship.

This is not an opportunity that I cast aside lightly.’ For more than twenty years, I loved being a boxer. I still feel that it's an enormous honor to be a boxer. But I don't love it anymore.’ I no longer have the enthusiasm and eagerness to make the sacrifices that are essential to honour the craft of prizefighting. I used to love going to the gym. Now it's a chore. I wish I still had the hunger, but I don't. The fire has burned out. And I know myself well enough to know that it won't return.

0 comments:

Post a Comment