Pages

Pakistan keeper hopes to inspire others

Cricket News:

Pakistani cricketer Zulqarnain Haider says he took a place against dishonesty and hopes other young professionals will be inspired by his example.Haider fled the Pakistan team in Dubai to take asylum in Britain after getting death threats from an alleged match-fixer against him and his family if he did not comply with their orders.He was ridiculed as "weak" by the Pakistani government."I need to suggest to all the players, all my team mates and all the world players, they need to make a good stand for good cricket," the 24-year-old told BBC radio.

"We need a good image in the people's hearts for our cricket."I am making this stand so maybe more youngsters will take this stand for our nation, for our Pakistan and for all cricket."I think I am going the right way to stop these things."He said he believed corruption was rife within cricket."I can't talk with my (team) mates right now. I don't know if they will appreciate me or not but I am going in the right way so one day you will see, time by time, it will be better," he said.

He explained why he fled to London and claimed asylum."I have been coming to the UK for 10 years so I have a lot of English and Pakistani friends here. They always treat me as a human being and human rights is very good here."He added: "When I arrived at Heathrow Airport, they asked me about these things."They said if you need to come into the UK, enter the UK, you need a reason or background for that, so I just told them what happened with me in Dubai, so they said 'what do you want now?'

"So that's why I'm taking asylum there. I said I don't want any help from government under your immigration, like a home and cash, I don't want that. Give me permission to play cricket."He said he did not know whether he would play the sport again at any level."I just have retired from international cricket. I don't know what will happen next."

0 comments:

Post a Comment