Pages

Debate over UDRS intensifies

The debate over the Umpire Decision Referral System controversy in the India-England match is still brewing condensation, particularly after English cricketer Ian Bell himself admitted that he was lucky and was also a bit confused. England batsman Ian Bell on Monday (February 28) said he was lucky to be "pushed back to the crease" by the Umpire Decision Review System when he was most certainly out LBW against India in the exciting World Cup match that finished in a tie here.

Bell contributed 69 valuable runs as England tied the scores after being set an imposing target of 339 by the Indians. Bell survived the LBW appeal when he was on 17. He was adjudged not out by the on-field umpire as he had taken quite a few strides down the pitch. The Indians appealed against it under the UDRS but the third umpire did not change the decision as under the rules, there was a more than 2.5 metre distance between the point of impact and the stumps.

"I did not know whether the rule existed. To be honest, it is strange, if you see the hawk-eye saying it is going to hit the stumps. I saw it pitching on me and hitting the stumps," Bell told reporters here."In the Ashes series, we were getting the results on the positive side. Playing in current times, I think, we got more decisions right than wrong. If they (ICC) change anything now through the World Cup, we have to get on with it and use it well. As I said, I was lucky as the fourth Umpire pushed me back on to the crease. I wanted to cash in on when they did that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment