Pages

Harrison to carry on boxing

Heavyweight Audley Harrison has decided to continue boxing despite his heavy defeat by David Haye in the world-title fight in Manchester on 13 November.The 39-year-old was strongly criticised after being stopped in the third round having thrown only one punch."After spending some time away reflecting on the fight and outcome, I have made the decision to continue my journey in boxing," he said.Harrison added that he believed the referee ended the fight too early.

The British Boxing Board of Control may yet decide to withhold part of of Harrison's purse after his lack of violence against Haye in the MEN Arena.But Harrison, a gold medallist at the 2000 Olympics, says there was a strategy behind his approach in the opening rounds of the WBA bout."Both styles of feinting and moving was off-setting the both of us in the first two rounds and I was just zoning in on his rhythm when he got through," said Harrison.

"I give David credit as I never expected him to hurt me as he did, but anyone could see it was a early stoppage and I should have been allowed to carry on and ride out the rough patch, even if that meant I would have got knocked out."Harrison believes censure that Vitali Klitschko's one-sided win over Shannon Briggs in October had been allowed to go the distance may have prompted referee Luis Pabon to intervene too early."I was denied the opportunity to show my grit, willpower and desire to be in there and compete and try to get back on level terms," added Harrison.

0 comments:

Post a Comment