Pages

Asiad boxing medallists felicitated

The Indian Boxing Federation (IBF) on Tuesday felicitated the seven male and two female boxers who won laurels for the country during the Asian Games in China. At a function organised by the IBF in the capital the federation offered the medal winning boxers with monetary rewards which included cheques of Rs 75,000 each for gold medalist Vikas Krishan and Vijender Singh while silver-medallists Dinesh Kumar, V Santhosh and Manpreet Singh got Rs 50,000.

Bronze-medalists Paramjeet Samota alongwith Suranjoy Singh were handed cheques of Rs 25,000 each.Teen sensation Vikas Krishan, who ended India's 12-year-old wait for a boxing gold at the Asian Games was the one who got the most attention but the boxer himself was surprised by achievement."Winning the gold medal was tough. I thought I would do well for myself but that I would get a gold was not what I had expected," said Vikas.

The 18-year-old Haryana-boxer beat defending champion Qing Hu of China in the final bout a day before Vijender Singh gave India the second gold.On how he managed to hold his anxiety during the bout, he added: "I just told myself, I am the youngest member of the team. If I win it will be good but if I lose, no one is going to complain as I am not experienced."The champion boxer said that he idolizes Dingko Singh. "Dingko is my role model. I have seen his 1998 final bout so many times. He is an inspiration."

0 comments:

Post a Comment